Friday, October 21, 2011

Lupe Fiasco - LightWork

So, what are you going to stand for?
Dreads in the sky, eye in eye
2 new Vans on a ???
Take that back, make that 2 new shoes on a van floor
Me and my band out on that road
On a never-back-down-from-a-stance tour
Yeah, touch more souls than a dancefloor
While they, touch less floors than a hand or
Ceiling fan, or wait, let me tell ya slower
Lift my fans up to the ceiling
And you’ll never touch the floor
Now if Noah need a rower, I’ll be there with my oar
Til we get back to the shore
Dad made me a soldier, GI Joe to these Cobras
Tryna FBI my panther, CIA my sankofa
Infiltrate my carter, illuminate my culture
While they watching through that buckle
But I stay up on my hustle
Turn that belt back on theyself
Now I watch them scream for help
Like Africa need aid, or black women as maids
Uncover undercovers turn those maids to Bubba's mothers
Take the hero out the Nino, keep it real as trouble trouble huh?
Or maybe cartoon Martin on the Boondocks
Flip the script on chicks who think they shit smell like perfume shops
Help them girls find beauty without a magazine or movie
She Delilah with them 45s or Keisha with that Uzi
Now I know that’s contradiction, wants and needs in competition
But it’s hard to stay on point with such extremes in opposition
While we waiting on that compromise, proceed with that conscious eye
New gang alert: hashtag #occupy
Rep it til the death of me, FnF what’s left in me
All my hate is for the fake, recipes for wrestling
Only time I wrestle’s when I’m wrestling with settling
Only way I settle if we wrestle over everything
I know that that don’t mix like ecstasy and ketamine
Funny how I’m only sick if you never catch a thing
Argue with your friends over what really the record means
Back and forth about it’s course, with professor’s refereeing
Why he so rebellious? Up-front with his realness?
They wanna be Fiascos, reproduce his Failures
Emperor is his alias, but not Marcus Aurelius
This is more like Sparta: kick you down a well, kid
And on my last check, I copped that NSX, just like Pharrell did
Well did, better doings to come
My only promise is I’ll never ruin the young
I've never humanless sung lyrics in a spirit that's superhuman to some,
keep you pursuin’ the sum of
Slums, plus, get up outta them, plus never forget

This is where you from, plus
Make sure that you ballin' when you come back up in them, plus
We don’t die, multiply, every single come-up
Parum-pum-pum-pum, yup

Lyrics partly via RapGenius

15 comments:

  1. "Uncover undercovers turn those maids to brothers [bloodless?] mothers", he said "Uncover undercovers turn those maids to Bubba's mothers"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction:
    *Help* them girls find beauty without a magazine or movie
    She Delilah with them 45s or Keisha with that Uzi
    Now I know that’s contradiction, wants and needs *in* competition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall great. I agree with Anonymous above.
    More corrections:
    "Flip the script on chicks who think they *should* smell like perfume shops"

    " keep you pursuin’ the *sum* of
    Slums, plus, get up outta them, plus never forget
    This is where you from, plus"

    ReplyDelete
  4. He says "While they watching through that buckle"

    ReplyDelete
  5. minor but it's "rep it till the death of me" instead of repping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the bubba's mothers line is correct. In Forrest Gump, Bubba's mother is a maid and comes from a long history of maids in the family but then Forest sends a huge donation of money to Bubba's family and they become rich hence "turn those maids to bubba's mothers"

    ReplyDelete
  7. and it's not should smell like perfume shop, it's "shit smell like perfume shop" as in the saying about people who think they shit smell like roses

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll never human and sung lyrics? I have no idea what that's supposed to mean...I think he says:

    "I've never humanless sung lyrics in a spirit that's superhuman to some"

    ReplyDelete
  9. These Are The Correct Lyrics!!!

    [Ellie Goulding:]
    I had a way then, losing it all on my own
    I had a heart then but the Queen has been overthrown
    And I'm not sleeping now
    The dark is too hard to beat
    And I'm not keeping up the strength I need to push me
    You sure the lights don't stop me
    Turn to stone shining when I'm alone
    And so I tell myself that I be strong
    Dreaming when they're gone
    Cause they're calling, calling, calling
    They're calling, calling, calling
    You sure the lights don't stop me
    Turn to stone shining when I'm alone

    [Lupe Fiasco:]
    So what are you gonna stand for?
    Dreads in the sky eye and eye two new vans on the land for..
    Take that back make that two new shoes on the van floor
    Me and my band on out on road we'll never back down from a stands tour
    Yeah, touch more souls (soles) than a dance floor
    While they... touch less floors than a hand or..
    Ceiling fan or wait let me tell you slower
    If my fans up to the ceiling and you'll never touch the floor
    Nothing flower needs a rower
    I'll be there with my oar (aura) until we get back to the shore
    Dad made me a soldier G.I. Joe to the cobras
    Trying to FBI my panther, CIA my Sankofa
    Infiltrate my carter, illuminate my culture
    When they're watching through that buckle
    But I stay up on my hustle
    Trying to build back on themselves, now watch them scream for help
    Like Africa need aid or black woman as maids
    Uncover undercover turns those maids to brothers mothers
    Take they hero out of Niño keep it realest trouble trouble huh
    Or maybe cartoon Martin on The Boondocks
    Flip the script on chicks who think they shit smell like perfume shops
    Half them girls find beauty without a magazine or movie
    Now see Delilah with them Forty-Fives or Keisha with that Uzi
    Now I know that's contradiction once in needs some competition
    But it's hard to stay on point with such extremes and opposition
    While we waiting on that compromise
    Proceed with that conscious side
    New gang alert, hash-tag #OCCUPY
    Rep (rap) it until the death of me
    F-N-F what's left of me
    All my hating for the fake recipe for wrestling
    Only time I wrestle is when I'm wrestling with settling
    Only way I'll settle is if we wrestle over everything
    I know that that don't mix like ecstasy and ketamine
    It's funny how I'm only sick if you never catch a thing
    Argue with your friends over what really the record means
    Back and forth about it's course with professors refereeing
    Why he so rebellious?
    Upfront with his realness?
    They want to be Fiasco's, reproduce his Failures
    Emperor is his alias but not Martin Aurelius
    This is more like sparta, kick you down the well kid..
    And on my last check, I copped that NSX just like Pharrel did..
    Well did, better doing is to come
    My only promise is that I'll never ruin the young
    I'll never humanly sung lyrics in the spirit thats..
    Super humanly some keep you perusing the sum of..
    Slums plus get up out of them plus
    Never forget just where you from plus..
    Make sure that you're balling when you comeback up in them plus..
    We dont die, multiply every single come up
    Pa rum pa pum pum YUP!!

    [Ellie Goulding:]
    I had a way then, losing it all on my own
    I had a heart then but the Queen has been overthrown
    And I'm not sleeping now
    The dark is too hard to beat
    And I'm not keeping up the strength I need to push me

    ReplyDelete
  10. ^^ those are definitely not the correct lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He says
    FnF what's left of me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dance like no one is watching
    _____________
    Bingorakeback

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just wanna say how much I hate Sean.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger asshole in the entire Universe.

    Fuck you Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  14. well surely its
    'If Noah needs a rower'.
    Not
    'Nothing flower needs a rower' for a start

    ReplyDelete